TODAY'S QUOTE
"You cannot go into battle believing you will lose."

Akisame Koetsuji
(Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple)
91 Days Review
What's up guys? It's another anime review with Hana! I am not sure if my Shinsekai Yori's review is good or not, but I will try to give my best shot for every time reviewing them. This time, I will be reviewing a debatable series, whereby some people love it, while some other are not. Not sure if it is one of the underrated anime but I don't see people talk about 91 days quite often honestly. Yes, I am going to review 91 Days

Well the official picture does show action vibes
Title: 91 Days
Type: TV
Episodes: 12
Aired: July 9, 2016 until October 1, 2016
Producers: Shochiku, Mainichi Broadcasting System, Shochiku Music Publishing
Licensors: Funimation, Crunchyroll
Studios: Shuka
Source: Original
Genres: Action, Drama, Historical
Duration: 24 min. per ep.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

If you asked me how do I explain this anime in a word, I would say " revenge ".
91 days is a series with an interesting premise. It's a crime drama set during the US prohibition. I'll let you all know right from the outset, I'm not going to know how historically accurate it is. I am basically familiar with what happened during prohibition. There was an amendment making alcohol illegal, Crime rates surged as it became a criminal commodity. After thirteen years it was repealed with another amendment. I do not , however, know the specifics. If you like Mafia-kind of story, then you probably will love this. 

The story is focusing on Angelo Lagusa, whom as a child living in the town of Lawless has witnessed a tragedy: his parents and younger brother have been mercilessly slaughtered by the Vanetti mafia family. Losing everything he holds dear, he leaves both his name and hometown behind, adopting the new identity of Avilio Bruno. Seven years later, Avilio finally has his chance for revenge when he receives a mysterious letter prompting him to return to Lawless. Obliging, he soon encounters the Vanetti don's son, Nero, and seeks to befriend him using the skills he has quietly honed for years. 91 Days tells the story of Avilio's dark, bloodstained path to vengeance, as he slowly ends each of the men involved in the killing of his family.

Plot
For an original anime, I would say that the studio did it very well. You might think that watching a guy getting his revenge for the whole 12 episodes could be pretty boring. People might think too that this is another useless fight mafia-story, but trust me, you guys are so wrong. This anime is very unique, I like how they made sure the characters act like people in those dark days. This anime is told in a very grim way, subtly shaping its characters. It is paced well. Even though you can probably tell what's going to happen next, you still find yourself striving for more, waiting for another week to pass by. There are a lot of psychological elements, so you always keep your eyes open, catching those little details that make the story all the more enjoyable. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole anime because it was revealing this and that, this and that again and again and you're like OMG what's gonna happen next? who will eliminate whom? The main and foremost rule to become a successful crime drama, 91 day perfectly executed it. The theme is similar to Baccano, Monster and Joker game. So why watch this? because it doesn't show the power of immortals, the madness of a cold hearted man or not some games. Its completely realistic. Its totally unique in its own way. So better try this anime. Its really good.

The series does get some hates though. I guess to some people it would be confusing and hard to follow. Like, why doesn't he just shoot person A and be done with it? Or why not snipe them all from the rooftops, plant bombs, etc. The point wasn't to kill them, it was to make them feel the same pain and suffering Angelo himself had suffered when he lost his family and was forced to watch.

Yes baby, we have got an anti-hero as the main protagonist here.

Characters
Angelo Lagusa is the main character of the series, and as I said before, we have got an anti-hero in this series. What is anti-hero? We usually have great main character with great characteristics that can be admired such as Naruto Uzumaki, whereby we really admire his 'I never give up', 'treasuring friendship', braveness, leadership and so on. But anti-hero has none of those. If we drag Angelo in Naruto series, we definitely would say that Angelo is the sneaky and calculating villain.

 He is merciless and cunning. Well, he could not have been survived until the end if he didn't abandon his sanity. Throughout the series, you might feel uncertain whether you agree with what Angelo's doing since it's very wrong things to do but at the same time you will get to think that the other party deserved what they got.

And we have another main character called Nero. Nero is from the other party. He is the son of the mafia family that killed Angelo's family. He is a good thinker and a very careful person. He is a great leader to be precise. So can you imagine how these two clashes? Like how Angelo manipulating everyone meanwhile there is a careful guy like Nero in the family, so Angelo has the hard time as much as Nero. 

And yet, what I like the most about the characters in the series is, I like how they are very realistic.How they act, and how they think. I mean, even to Angelo, there was a moment where he hesitated (not going to spoil you why). I mean come, taking revenge is not the best way to live honestly. Moreover, killing people? I am sure deep inside of Angelo's heart, he doesn't want to do it either. 

Though, not sure if I like the supporting characters. At least I like Nero's sister and Corteo. There are the only decent supporting characters that has some kind of sanity at the very least lol.




Art and Animation
Well this is what the series lacking the most. The quality is inconsistent but I don't really mind since the plot is really nice but still there are parts whereby the art and animation affected it. 

OST and Songs
I freaking love the opening song. It sits well with the theme of the series which is 'Revenge'. The first time I heard the opening theme song, I love it immediately. It's like I can feel the pain that is weighting Angelo and Nero. As for the OST, it fits the scene really well.

Overall
I am not saying that it is a masterpiece since it does lacking here and there, but I will definitely admit that it is a very good series. It keeps you on edge, wanting for more and the ending... well not gonna spoil you :P
Overall rating: 8/10

Give it a try, I recommend the series. Let me know how it go.


Labels: , , , ,


new past